Professor Morten Flate Paulsen’s experience with online learning dates back to pioneering days in the 1980s. His ongoing work is based on his Theory of Cooperative Freedom and Transparency – which still has a very contemporary application.
He is currently writing a blog titled My Online Education World 1980-2020, which to date includes a chronicle of 250 personal anecdotes, experiences and reflections on the people, events, technology and pedagogy that influenced four decades of his online education work. The narrative is based on his international practice with online education as a pioneer, student, teacher, course designer, system developer, administrator, researcher, professor, author, editor, entrepreneur and innovator.
The story progresses along with his work for NKI Distance Education in Norway, the American Centre for the Study of Distance Education, the Athabasca University in Canada, the European Association for Distance Learning (EADL), the European Distance and E-learning Network (EDEN), the Universidade Aberta in Portugal, the Nordic open online Academy (NooA), the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/dfd50dc6-d660-4a0e-abb9-35e61cd0d340-077-Morten-Flate-Paulsen-Final.mp3 | recorded November 2022
Morten’s online profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mfpaulsen/
Morten’s Online Education World anecdotes: https://www.nooa.no/my-online-education-world/
Nominated works (free to access):
- Contributions to the EDEN President’s blog: https://www.eden-online.org/blog/author/morten/
- Dalsgaard, C., & Paulsen, M. F. (2009). Transparency in Cooperative Online Education. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 10(3). https://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/671
- Keegan, D., Lõssenko, J., Mázár, I., Paulsen, M.F., Rekkkedal, T., Toska, J.A., & Zarka, D. (2007). E-learning initiatives that did not reach targeted goals. Norway: NKI Publishing House. Note: this book provides case study articles and analyses of nine prestigious European e-learning initiatives that did not reach their objectives. https://issuu.com/mfpaulsen/docs/book3
- Paulsen, M. F. (2008). Cooperative Online Education. Seminar.Net, 4(2). https://doi.org/10.7577/seminar.2482. https://journals.oslomet.no/index.php/seminar/article/view/2482
- Paulsen, M. F. (2003). Online Education and Learning Management Systems – Global education in a Scandinavian Perspective. Norway: NKI Forlaget. https://issuu.com/mfpaulsen/docs/onlineeducation
- Paulsen, M. F. (Ed.) (2007). Megaproviders of e-learning in Europe. Norway: NKI Publishing House. Note: this book includes 26 case study articles of European megaproviders of e-learning. https://issuu.com/mfpaulsen/docs/megaproviders
- Paulsen, M. F., & Vieira, V. (2006). An Analysis of E-learning Experiences in European Small and Medium-sized Enterprises. Norway: NKI Forlaget. https://issuu.com/mfpaulsen/docs/book_about_e-learning_quality_in_smes