Professor Martha Cleveland-Innes is Professor of Open, Digital, and Distance Education with Athabasca University. Her work related to the Community of Inquiry model continues to advance thinking in the area of online learning practice. Listen out for a good IDEA related to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility and how these might be combined through robust education planning.
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/9b6762fe-1cbf-4015-b321-1bba2f59b071-086-Martha-Cleveland-Innes-Final.mp3 | recorded August 2023
Martha’s online profile: Dr Martha Cleveland-Innes is a Professor of Open, Digital, and Distance Education at Athabasca University. She is Editor-in-Chief of the bilingual Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, and the co-author of open source publications The Guide to Blended Learning (2018) and Participant Experience in an Inquiry-Based Massive Open Online Course (2022). Martha is an instructor, co-designer, and researcher for the open online courses Designing Communities of Inquiry, Blended Learning Practice. and Leading Change for Teaching and Learning in a Digital World. In 2019 Martha received an Honorary Doctorate from Mid-Sweden University and served as a member of the Advisory Group for Digital Literacy with the B.C. Ministry of Advanced Education in 2021-2022. She was Virtual Educator in Residence at the National University of Singapore in Fall, 2022 and is currently Visiting Professor of Pedagogy at Mid-Sweden University.
The Community of Inquiry model: https://www.thecommunityofinquiry.org/
Nominated work (fee to access):
- Vaughan, N.D., Dell, D., Cleveland-Innes, M., & Garrison, D.R. (Eds.) (2023). Principles of blended learning: Shared metacognition and Communities of Inquiry. AU Press. https://www.aupress.ca/books/120324-principles-of-blended-learning/
Nominated works (may require purchase):
- Cleveland-Innes, M.F., Stenborn, S., & Garrison, D.R. (Eds.) (2024). The design of digital learning environments: Online and blended applications. Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/The-Design-of-Digital-Learning-Environments-Online-and-Blended-Applications/Cleveland-Innes-Stenbom-Garrison/p/book/9781032153124?fbclid=IwAR0-VtoXTOVNuVWus3xsfQnp1DABd6KBsrewlcrD4sLowCR7U9arNFzXFqM#
- Sangrá, A., & Cleveland-Innes, M. F. (2020). Leadership in a new era of higher distance education. In An introduction to distance education (pp. 149-167). Routledge.
- Matheos, K., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2018). Blended learning: Enabling higher education reform. Revista Eletrônica de Educação, 12(1), 238-244.
- Orr, T., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2015). Appreciative leadership: Supporting education innovation. International review of research in open and distributed learning, 16(4), 235-241.
- Cleveland-Innes, M. (2012). Who needs leadership? Social problems, change, and education futures. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 13(2), 232-235.
- Workman, T., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2012). Leadership, personal transformation, and management. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 13(4), 313-323.
- Cleveland-Innes, M. F., & Sangra, A. (2010). Leadership in a new era of higher distance education. In An introduction to distance education (pp. 239-259). Routledge.