Associate Professor Michael Barbour is a specialist in K12 education, and the potential for asynchronous online education to make successful graduates. His scholarship is cited around the world and his work in policy, based on a practitioner’s perspective, continues to make a positive difference.
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/8cc32333-e6b7-4be4-8f45-a9b7263efbb8-069-Michael-Barbour-Final.mp3 | recorded February 2022
Michael’s profile: https://www.michaelbarbour.com/
Nominated publications (free to access):
- Barbour, M. K. (2019). The landscape of K-12 online learning: Examining the state of the field. In M. G. Moore & W. C. Diehl (Eds.), Handbook of distance education (4th ed.) (pp. 521-542). Routledge. Can be freely accessed at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330275960_The_Landscape_of_K-12_Online_Learning_Examining_What_Is_Known
- Arnesen, K. T., Hveem, J., Short, C. R., West, R., & Barbour, M. K. (2019). K-12 online learning journal articles: Trends from two decades of scholarship. Distance Education, 40(1), 32-53. Can be freely accessed at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329533946_K-12_online_learning_journal_articles_trends_from_two_decades_of_scholarship
- Barbour, M. K. (2020). Misbehaving toddler or moody teenager: Examining the maturity of the field of K-12 online learning. Revista de Educación a Distancia, 64(20). https://revistas.um.es/red/article/view/412821/286721
- Barbour, M. K., LaBonte, R., Kelly, K., Hodges, C., Moore, S., Lockee, B., Trust, T., Bond, A., & Hill, P. (2020). Understanding pandemic pedagogy: Differences between emergency remote, remote, and online teaching. Canadian eLearning Network. https://k12sotn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/understanding-pandemic-pedagogy.pdf
- Barbour, M. K., LaBonte, R., & Nagle, J. (2008-2021). State of the nation study: K-12 e-learning in Canada. Canadian eLearning Network. https://k12sotn.ca/
Nominated work (requires purchase):
- Clark, T., & Barbour, M. K. (Eds.) (2015). Online and distance education in schools: Global perspectives on policy and practice. Stylus Publishing.